True friends are never apart. Maybe in distance but never in heart
Greetings! This weekend I flew to the great state of Texas to spend time with my good friend and former college teammate, Brooke. It’s her 28th birthday, so we had a fun pool party!
First off, let me start by saying, I love Texas! Down home cooking, country music, friendly people, and beautiful sunsets. If you ever get a chance, a trip to Dallas, Austin or Houston should definitely be in your near future!
When possible, I love spending time with my friends, but unfortunately, time does not always permit. Throughout life, I’ve realized that it is so important to build and maintain relationships. Friends are family that we collect over time and they make contribution in making us who we are as individuals. Friends can help celebrate good times and provide support during bad times. Friends prevent loneliness, provide self care and offer needed companionship, too.
Friendships are like flowers, they start as a small seed, grow their roots and flourish over time with the proper care. With that said, friendships can be difficulty to maintain. People grow, change, move away and get busy, however, it is vital for human beings to have someone that they can confide in. Here are some ways to maintain your friendships.
- Build Trust: trust is so important for anyone. Giving the benefit of the doubt and being reliable is key in maintain a friendship.
- Have accountability: Learn how to admit when you are wrong and accept responsibility for your behaviors. Also, don’t blame others for what you do wrong.
- Learn how to forgive: if you want a friendship to last, you have to learn how to forgive your friends for minor mistakes. No one is perfect, including yourself. Try to be compassionate during rough times.
- Communication: Its key!!!!! Some conversations may not be easy, but if they are had in a gentle manner early on, they can let go of problems in the long run.
- Be supportive: I know this one can be hard. A lot of times we want to give our input, and protect our friends from any pain. However, sometimes you just have to let people learn lessons their way, when they are ready. Try to listen carefully.
- Don’t forget, friendships can last a lifetime, or just a season. Learn how to accept the people in your life, and cherish them. Also, take time to evaluate toxic friendships that bring you down. The biggest way to cause stress in your life, is to allow people in who do not deserve to be there.
This week, I challenge you to thank everyone that is in your life, and link up with a friend that you haven’t seen in a while! Most of all, I want to thank all of my life-long friends who have stuck by my side, gone on my crazy adventures and taken my picture at the right angle.
Until next time, Happy Adventuring.